Thursday, February 09, 2006

HELP with litter-training

Yesterday in the middle of me doing work, at about 1115 pm, I had a call from someone who told me she was given a persian cross by a customer and she knew I wanted a lovely persian cat, although you know I simply love my two other cats to bits. I had been talking to her about adopting one and lo and behold, it happened. A most beautiful grey cat with bright blue eyes and an equally peaceful disposition. I did have a moment's hesitation when I thought of Bujang Devil Cat and what he might do with the new kitty. But I thought I would give it my best shot. So I got him into a nice big carrier, gave him some kibble and water and I was so glad he started to eat it. If he was nervous, I am sure he would not even touch anything. Then he had a little exploration of new territories by himself in his sanctuary room and promptly fell asleep at my computer table. Awwww! I thought. How sweet. My two cats were very curious and started to sniff the whole house down.
The thing is, this cat is trained to poo in the toilet. My other cats were trained from young to do it in their litter. So the question is, how do I change such litter habits? He did his business in the carrier and I had put a small piece of his poo in the litter. Then I think I would place both the kitty and the litter with his poo in it in the loo and leave him there for abit to do his toilette. Would this be the right thing? Would there be a better way to re-train a cat with his toilette?
I spent some time last night thinking of a new name but didn't come up with one yet but maybe later today. Btw my friend said the customer had to give this kitty away because he was being bullied by the female persian. Oh-oh! I don't think Bujang Devil Cat should hear of this so soon.

Update

My mother, the second care-taker :) told me that she had tried to put the cat and the litter in the loo and left him there to give him some privacy. She had locked up the 2 rascals in the bedroom so they would not scare the new addition into our family. The kitty had them promptly meowed his opinions loudly and tried to hide behind the wash basin. :(

She had then removed him from the loo, cleaned his carrier and gave him some food to eat. The last time I called, she said he had fallen asleep. I do not know if it's from relief or exhausion. I hope it's the former. I think after work I would buy him a nice soft-toy so he would have a friend to sleep with.

Hmmm I see a long road to litter-training.
I think I shall name him Toshiro after my fav Japanese actor Toshiro Mifune. Now I have to train my mother to say his name. :))


Update II

So I bought my new cat a little grey cat with a big red heart and wiped it with a catnip pillow. The little cat toy is now in his cage and he has been leaning on it for the past 1 hour. When I came home, i was so surprised to see the door to the sanctuary open and the kitty sleeping in his carrier. It seemed my mother had opened the door for a few hours and the 2 rascals had barely shown an interest in the newcomer. So now I have decided to just open my sanctuary door and Akira has come in twice to inspect him. She hissed softly once (but without much menace) then jumped on top of the cupboard - her usual perch. Bujang has not entered the room yet. He has chosen to hover nervously at the door and had yet to enter the room for an inspection. I remember when I brought Akira home from the SPCA. He spat and snarled at her. I really wonder what the 2 rascals are up to or maybe this is a good sign. I only have to worry about litter-training. It seemed that the previous owner had taught the cat to poo in the drainage hole but my mother has fears that the kitty would fall into the hole. ARGHHH! That would be a very very bad thing indeed. He has just made some warning sounds at Akira and now he is fast asleep with his new cat toy. Awwww!

My mother said Toshiro is just too much for her. :) Maybe Dharma or Indira or something deep like that .:)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! :) May peace reign in your kingdom for a thousand years!

    ~5-Cat Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Bujang will tell the new cat he is the king of the house and lo...beware. They will get use to each other and I am sure all will be well. I have one male persian and a male local who love to wrestle with each other. It's their way of bonding. The local hissed at him initially but found that he could bring him down to his legs in sumo wrestling. After each wrestle, they will clean each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wouldnt be too worried about the litterbox training. i've had the tiniest kittens who could instinctively (well, not without accidents of course) use the litterbox almost immediately.

    the point is more to be the type of litter toshiro would like to use. i think persians tend to be fussier than other cats. so, a mindful watch of his toilet habits now, would come in useful later on.

    hey what about names like, tobioka, takashi, toshio, or even totoro? ^-^

    stitch is aka tsubasa.

    ReplyDelete