Monday, February 13, 2006

Lessons from Bujang my cat


I should know better than try to teach a cat his business. I know that now. I should just have asked Bujang to help me with the lessons in litter-training. A cat would know their own business best. I am glad to report that Toro has finally learnt to poo in the litter :) Of course since he is not used to even the feel of litter, he did it like a reluctant acrobat - with three feet on the rim of the box and one foot dangling in sheer desperation. Last night was the first try and I must say it was quite successful.

Toro had followed Bujang into the toilet because he heard mysterious sounds of of sand being thrown about willy-nilly. Bujang is nothing if not thorough in his excavation of his litter box. He came closer and watched Bujang do his business. He came nearer to smell it better. Bujang, by this time was rather taken aback by such interest in his affaires but took no notice of Toro. When he left, I thought I should watch what Toro would do then.

I saw him sniffing the litter and inspecting the box. So I closed the toilet door and waited for him to complete his toilette. He sniffed at the drainage hole and began to walk quickly around the box. "Should I or should I not ?" I can hear and see him thinking. Finally he could stand it no longer and climbed onto the rim of the box, with three feet on it and one foot dangling and proceeded to poo. WOAH!!! It was quite a sight. It was like watching your baby take his first step. :)) Then he was quite exhausted and rested for abit. I decided that I should see if he would pee and placed him where the drainage hole was. I think Luck was with me as he then proceeded to pee quite easily where the hole was. YIPPEE! My brain yelled and my mind was quite at ease. I thought he would remember it and hopefully duplicate it the next day.

Today he showed no interest in his litter nor his toilette for the the whole day. No amount of coaxing was going to get him to do it. However after the night meal, he followed Bujang into the toilet and after Bujang had finished doing his business, Toro proceeded to do his litter-box dance. So I sat with him and sang him a little song (to encourage him of course ). He actually placed all 4 paws into the litter! WOW! But true to his acrobatic style, he then placed two paws on the rim, one on the shower glass and one dangling in the litter box. He did his business and with one big jump (so he didn't have to touch the litter) he landed quite safely on the floor.

So I think he would have no trouble with pooing in the litter and peeing near the drainage hole. Although it would be nice if he did both in the litter-box, I am quite happy to live with this compromise and so is Toro who is now sleeping with his legs in the air. :)

I should have asked Bujang to help me from the very beginning with litter-training. There is nothing like a good role model.

2 comments:

  1. Ohy my... what a sight THAT would be to behold... of a cat performing litterbox acrobats. What a hilarious cat Toro is!

    ~5-Cat Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats! by the way, have a suggestion. maybe you want to put off the neutering for 1-2 weeks, let totoro settle down first.

    otherwise, (self-proclaimed) god-ma thinks may be too stressful for him lor.

    furthermore, he just learnt to use the litterbox. should lte him familiarise first mah.

    ReplyDelete