Thursday, March 16, 2006

Akira my cat

I have not written about Akira in this blog as much as about Bujang and Toro. Akira is the cat I got when Bujang was about 7 months. I got her from the SPCA and she was one of 4 siblings - all tri-colour. When I went to the SPCA there were many kittens that I could have had but I remembered my mother likes white cats, cats whose fur shines under the sun. Of course this reminds her of her childhood when she had 4 purely white cats.

When I got her she was about 6 months. I was told by many that it is best that I get a female companion cat for Bujang as it was less likely for them to get into horrendous fights for territory and the like. She was called Sadie but imagine that! No Malay parent can possibly pronounce Sadie. My mother wanted to name her Chomel but I argued that no cat of mine is ever going to be called that as it reminds me too much of the pontianak 'vampire' tales of my childhood. I really do not need to be calling the pontianak every other hour. ARGHHH! So I settled on Akira after my favourite Japanese movie director Akira Kurosawa. Akira meaning 'intelligent'. My mother now calls her Kira. I should call her Kira-Kira for glitter :). I have friends who very reliably informed me that Akira is also a brand of cheap electronics :)

Anyway she came to my house and harrassed Bujang into accepting her. Actually she just ran after him and virtually threw herself into his path. She held out her forelegs through the bars of the cage to entice Bujang into investigating what's happening, only to swat him on the nose with the same foreleg. She seemed to take a great deal of delight in playing cat and mouse. She scared him out of his wits and behaved like a prima donna. She drove Bujang into a total depression. He refused to move, to come out of his little corner and even to groom himself. THAT was how scared he was of her and how badly prepared I was for another cat.

But I thought the best way to get Bujang out of this depression was to play with him and pay him alot of attention - only him without Akira. So we went for long walks and played hide and seek which is one of his favourite games to this day as he is the only one of the three who actually plays hide and seek with me :) He even invites me to play and I would usually accept the invitation. 10 minutes of hide and seek is usually enough for the day.

Akira and Bujang are now best of friends. They hang out looking at birds out of the window together. They play catch together but she still decides who gets the best seat on the cat tree :)


3 comments:

  1. er... akira is boy's name lei... but never mind lah..

    can call her akiko lor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aiyoh poor Bujang...to think that you are such a little softie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. Bujang is a real softie lah. He just looks like a giant. He's very laid-back and doesn't like fuss. He is also very loveable and would groom Akira when she puts her face under his chin...but not too much. :)) He would even tolerate Toro trying to prevent him from going to the kitchen unless he gets a bit much and Bujang would give him one swipe. Usually that's enough to keep Toro in line nowadays. :)

    ReplyDelete