Sunday, April 09, 2006

One last thing before I run


I was just at the Cat Welfare Society Adoption site and saw all the lovely cats and thought about the many cats that were abandoned by people. I remembered wanting to get a cat from the adoption site when I wanted to get a companion for Bujang. I wanted a cat called Little Flower. She was a beautiful one. Bujang was such a bored cat then and used to sigh long and wearily - flop and sigh, flop and sigh... That was when I got Akira - one of four siblings from the SPCA instead as my friend told me a cat's life at the SPCA was more fragile than those in foster care. And after reading long and longer about the shelter cats, I decided that I would go to SPCA and get another one. I did not think of it as me rescuing a cat but a cat rescuing me.

My mother and I were talking about Toro and whether we would give him back to his first owner if she ever comes crying back for him. I do not know if this ever happens to anyone. I think I would not give him up...ever, even if she cries but I do not know really. I asked my mother if she would ever want to give up Akira. She was shocked and said THAT is not to be thought of as what if Akira asks to sit on her lap and could not find her? What if the new people do not know that Akira likes sitting on laps early in the morning just to get her motor running? What if Bujang cannot find anyone else who would play hide and seek just because he wants to?

Hmmm. I wonder why people would even think that it is all right to abandon animals?

I think I am too long at my computer and am beginning to think morbid thoughts. It already 730 and time to feed the amigos. They are all sitting close to me. I'm sure they're using group telepathy to force me to stop blogging and start feeding. Ok kitties...come to the kitchen then....

5 comments:

  1. There's another type of pet owners - while they may not purposely abandon their pets, I think they are unlikely to feel much loss when their pet is missing. They will just let things be, and not go through the trouble and expense. It's like the pet is disposable.

    I was screening a potential adopter (from Sunday's adoption drive) by phone last night, and the husband gave me that feeling mentioned earlier. I'm supposed to call the wife today as she's the one who wants to adopt Jackie, but I don't think I want to, as the husband mentioned he wants a cute kitten (twice) and expected me to just deliver the cat to him today without question and without meeting the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then auntie p, you must go with your instincts. jackie from your post yesterday is much too precious to leave with them I think. It might make her a little sad.
    I think he thinks its like those things you can order online. More than that, he may think a cute kitten would not go up to be an adult cat and may no longer be cutesy. Or some kittens take a long time to get used to a person and may scratch and bite.
    He doesn't sound like a potential adopter. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. San, what you said about kittens is so true. Whereas an adult cat tends to learn quite fast in adapting to living indoors, and require less attention.

    I was thinking: if that potential adopter won't bother to check out the cat first (considering it's a long-term commitment), but expect me to deliver it to him (he said this twice also), I'm not sure if I can expect him to provide a reasonably good level of care to the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah aunty p. He sounds too impatient for a kitten. I can imagine him saying to a kitten "jump" and he espects the kitten to jump. If not...woahhhh...

    Like the 1st family with that very patriachial bent, if one doesn't sound right, then prob not a good idea.
    (I dunno how to spell patriarchal and the amigos won't help meyp) :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go with your gut instinct. If you still think he is not fit to be a pet owner, then I think he should be rejected. However, I guess they may go to another fosterer who may not be as firm.

    ReplyDelete