Sunday, June 11, 2006

In Harness Training II


Harness training is never easy but once done, it is quite rewarding for both the cat and the human :)
The indoor cat would get to have a taste, although limited, of the Great Outside in a safer way. I say safer as there are still some hazards to leash walking, not least being the number of dogs out walking unleashed, strange noises that could spook your cat into entangling himself, and of course you getting hurt by thorns because you have to get your cat out from under ixora and bourgainvillea bushes. I speak as a person who has had to get her cat out from under many bushes of this kind as they seem to be the only ones that the Parks and Recreation people deem fit to grow in the parks around my house.

Of course not all cats like being Outside. Akira who can walk on a leash doesn't like the Outside one bit. So I do not bring her to the park at all as she is timid and scared of every little noise. She gets to walk short distances along the corridor only, but not often as she doesn't seem to care if she is out. Bujang simply loves walking and now I feel that my cat Toro should also have the same kind of choices. I knew he liked the Outside from our little excusion after our visit to the groomers so I had to try it out.

Literature on leash walking and harnes training has it that you should have your cat in harness and leash one week before trying the Outside. Toro had harness practice for several days, each session a little longer but not for a week because I thought the Hansel and Gretel Technique was a possibility that I can explore.

And so it was. I am glad I persevered but I know it would take some time before Toro could go to the park as I have to make sure he gets used to the corridor first.

It's a pity it is raining now as my cats don't really like being wet and the wet weather would be more scary for Toro. I do not want him to be spooked and associate the Outside with something scary. :))

So maybe a little later in the evening I would try to get him to be Outside again. Of course I have 2 weapons - Bujang and a little packet of bream flakes - both irresistible for Toro. He loves bream flakes and he follows Bujang about endlessly. I just have to put the 3 together again.

3 comments:

  1. It has been a long day for you and the cats. Bttter have an early night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally get to see how round Toro is in these pictures. Nicely plump. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is because he eats enough for three cats auntie_p. He's perpetually hungry. I would like to think its all that fur, but sad to say reality has to step in. Yhe amigo diet is not working well for Toro.

    ReplyDelete