Thursday, August 03, 2006

Why Do You Feed The Cats Aunty?

Last night I on on cat feeding duty and decided to bring my nephews along as they were curious to see what I was up to. We went to feed the calico and they asked me why I was feeding her and whether she was my cat. I said that she was my cat in a way as I have decided to take some responsibility for her and the other 3 cats. So I told them about responsible feeding and that people should never abandon their cats as that would be irresponsible behaviour. I hope that in no small way, they would also grow up to be responsible teenagers and not hurt the cats at their void deck.

So we went to feed the black cat and FatBoy. I told them that we would go back to the carpark to clean up later after we fed FatBoy and that everyone who feeds cats must clear up after them as there might be vermin etc if we leave the food behind. :)

We saw the cat feeder. I was urprised as to why she was there as I thought we had agreed on a schedule as she told me she was old and therefore no longer strong to feed the cats. :/
She told me she feeds other cats and then complained about the number of cats there were and how tired she was. :) I assumed that she had forgotten our agreement and so I discussed the arrangement again saying that I could help her with the cats here for 3 days so she would have time to feed her other cats and at least for 3 days, to have more rest.

I also said that I would clear up after the black cat. she told me to leave the food until the next morning as the black cat eats slowly. I advised her that this was not good practice as vermin might come and then people might complain about her cats. If that happens, they might be rounded up. After some time of trying to convince her that she should not leave food overnight also, she finally saw the rationale. I am afraid that she saw it as the authorities taking her cats away rather than that the practice itself is not wise. Possibly the next time I see her, I would have to ask her and maybe tell her that the practice of leaving wet food out all night might make her cats sick. I forgot to tell her this yesterday and as she only feeds the cats fish and rice, this is something she must realise. She promised me that she would clear the bowl of the black cat for me.

On our way back, my nephews asked me why I was not going to the carpark to clear the bowl so there would be no vermin :)) I am glad they remembered what I said , so told them the cat feeder was going to clear it up for me. So they said goodnight to the black cat as well as the calico and we all went home.

3 comments:

  1. The lady a bit weird hor. Oh well, you had tried your best to educate and assist her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well she is a strange one. She told me that she would clear up the food at night but I found the can food in the am. So I cleaned it up before anyone else finds it this morning. The calico came running to me and so I fed her some biscuits before going to work . I will try to talk to her again.

    ReplyDelete