Monday, February 25, 2008

Green Green grass....

Bujang looks at the grass with suspicion...

Are you sure you can eat that Bujang? Be careful okie.

Errrr...I think it should be okie. It smells like the green things...


Bujang giving it his best shot...


Alas!


Comparison of my home grown grass and the 4-day old wheat grass...




Alas. I must report that my trial of grass growing was not all that successful. I think the grass grew okay but I suspect it had more water that was good for it. It grew spindly and a few of the tips were brown because of the water- from rain and grandma's enthusiastic efforts.
I thought I would give it to Bujang anyway. Poor Bujang was excited to eat it but the container was too lightweight and as he pulled at the grass, it also swung with the force of it. Then when he tried to eat the grass again, I decided to keep the conatiner still. Poor Bujang had also inadvertently pulled out the grass by the roots and soil. And still he didn't manage to eat any grass at all.
Seeing that he was losing interest and getting increasinly puzzled I gave him some of his 4-day old wheat grass. He was quite happy after that although he still sniffed at the home grown grass with some puzzlement.
I decided I would make a second attempt at growing this elusive grass. Btw aunty-p, when Coco eats the grass, doesn't it come out in clumps too?

2 comments:

  1. Bujang likes his salad, eh?

    Oh yes, Coco did pull out a few strands of grass, so I had to hold the box, but most times, she managed to bite off bits from the top. To save the trouble, I plucked the grass into smaller bits to feed her by hand, to avoid having her eat bits of the soil, or eating too long a strand (which may cause her to throw up). I usually start feeding when the grass has grown taller a bit more... then I would have more grass! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted cat grass (Four Paws) for my girls in July last year. Here is a slideshow capturing their response: http://www.slide.com/mscd?pxcid=ZKfg7O4B4VUCsOeU13-dzQMAD-N0m2_qa106G-N42ztO9-FnYKDfpxB2OLTD4mQP

    Braun preferred to munch straight off the pot (she was disinterested when I snipped off some of the cat grass and put them on a dish).

    That was my third attempt. My 1st two attempts didn't take off because we spotted creepy crawlies both times in the packet of soil/seeds mix (Vitakraft).

    ReplyDelete