Friday, February 08, 2008

Where are you Cal? Cal found.

Where are you Cal?


We are missing one of the Wild Bunch - Cal. She has not been to dinner for 5 days which is quite unusual for her. I would like to think this is because Big Casanova has been coming to dinner that she has disappeared. Big Casanova is still unneutered as he does not have a regular routine and I can't call V to catch him yet. I know Big Casanova used to frighten her before and she would come later to eat but now not so. The old aunty has not come to tell me anything so I assume that she is feeding Cal in the night. I asked the cleaner about her but on hindsight I think he thought I was asking about Minah. I worry nevertheless.
Update 10.05 pm
Cal is safe and sound. Well not sound exactly but okay for tonight.
Cousin R told me that she saw the old aunty downstairs and so spoke to her about Cal. The old aunty was shocked and said the last time she saw Cal was Sunday. The old aunty was worried that the TC had sent some 'people' to catch the cats. Cousin R told her that it was not possible as all the other cats were safe and sound.
Later the old aunty came knocking at my door and told me she saw Cal in the carpark as she decided to look for Cal after the news. She said Cal had wounds and blood all over her legs and she was afraid she might have been knocked down by a car! AIEEE!
So I quickly got Bujang's carrier, a towel, some food and went with the aunty. I thought if she was gravely hurt, I would bring her home and then bring her to the vet tomorrow. I was rather panicky and couldn't think of where else I could bring a hurt cat at this time of night. Of course I could have brought her to the hospital at Mount Pleasant but that was very far away. I do not know of anywhere nearer that I could bring a hurt cat. I really must find out that information asap.
I had really horrible visions of Cal lying in a pool of blood so it was quite a relief when I saw her coming out as soon as she heard the old aunty's keys. Huh!! I thought she said Cal was hurt and bleeding!! But then the old aunty was very worried and probably had horrible visions too.
I saw Cal had 2 bite marks, probably inflicted by Big Casanova as he was the only unneutered male in the vicinity and he was very fierce with Cal. The wounds were quite healed and she just had some dried blood on one wound. But I thought I had better clean it just to be safe. So we bundled her into the carrier and brought her home.
Of course I had to make sure that the amigos were safely sequestered somewhere and Akira was in grandma's room. We brought Cal into the kitchen and gave her something to eat. Then I washed the wounds with witch hazel as THAT was the only thing I had in the house. I had just thrown out all manner of cat stuff. She yelped a little but I got the wound sufficiently clean. Then we bundled her again and released her at her usual haunt. She ran off and then we saw her drink some water and then she went off someplace. But she was her usual nimble self. I gave the aunty the rest of the witch hazel and told her that I would get some antiseptic powder for Cal tomorrow.
I am glad she is safe and I definitely have to do something to Big Casanova. If he still returns next week I would call V to help trap him. I hope witch hazel is not dangerous for cats!

7 comments:

  1. Oh no!!!!! Where are you Cal?? Please come home!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe u had googled, my results found tat it isn't for pets. =))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we found a place that reported bowel upset if the cat swallowed witch hazel. Beyond that, several places said witch hazel was good for cleaning and treating wounds.

    So the witch hazel probably helped Cal, at least a little cleaning the wound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys for telling me that witch hazel was not gg to hurt her. I should be bale to get her something specifically for cats later today. I had asked the aunty to just squirt a little on one of the wounds tonight when she feeds them at dinner. I would be bale to see her later tonight also to give her the antiseptic for cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Radcliff, Allie, Luna, & Ozzie -
    Also be cautious of administering herbal remedies to our pets; despite their frequent use in people, they can be harmful to our pets. Problems can occur with the ingestion of aloe and witch hazel (bowel upset); camphor and wormwood (neurological); nux vomica; oil of wintergreen (especially in cats); pennyroyal; and sassafras (especially in cats). from http://www.canadianliving.com/life/pets/drwalts_happy_tails_april_2002.php

    I should make a point of having something for cats and animals in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Cal yelped because of the alcohol in the witch hazel. Small quantity is not likely to cauyse much harm. You may consider sterils 5-10ml vials of sodium chloride or chlorhexidine as first aid.

    Did you see her again after that? Did the woulds heal ok?

    I know what you meant about visions. I tend to think the worst too, when I can't find anyone of them. I guess it is to prepare myself for the real thing. But then, when bad things happen to them, I still cry lah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear cat_aunty

    I checked her again this evening. I examined the wonds more closely and saw that they were circular with burnt edges. So I think I have malinged poor Big casanova. They couldn'r possibly be cat bites but I think exhaust pipes as she likes to sit under cars and on tyres sometimes.

    The wounds are ok. They are not wet anymore. But I think I will get some meds from the vet just in case. I actually have some sodium chlorise sterile solution but didnt think of it then. quite silly of me also. :)

    ReplyDelete