Monday, March 15, 2010

Megat and Asthma

Megat relaxing at home...
This wool carpet (the whte and brown one also) may be the culprit...


Dr L checked his chest and indeed he has a 'little' asthma. I heard the wheezing sounds through the stethoscope. "Sounds like me," I said. So he had Megat take a chest xray - one from the side and one that shows all of him. Indeed there was a little liquid in his right lung. Dr L gave me some homeopathy meds for respiratory ailments for him. he had to take 1/2 a capsule in the morning and the other 1/2 at night. Of cos he threw it all up, followed by his usual supplements!

I was glad I decided to tell Dr L about his coughing. Dr L was rather puzzled as he did not wheeze so much before and asked me if I had changed his diet. I did not change anything. So possibly the only change is the wool carpet that I had bought last year and now I am looking at the new one I bought last Sunday with a fair amount of suspicion. He did get all those coughs when we got the wool carpet last year. There would be dust and mites in carpets, no matter how much I vacuum them. Megat and the rest of the boys like rolling about on it though so I told grandma that we might have to give the carpets away if he does not get a little better in 3 months. Grandma was not as upset like I thought she would be.

On another note, there are other changes that we saw from the xray. His liver is a little rounded and one of his kidneys is a little smaller. But Dr L says this is because he is an old cat and things change. Other than that there is nothing else that is wrong and there are no mysterious spots of lymphoma anywhere.

I was a little horrified when Dr L said we needed the xray to see if he had cancer cells in his lungs! WHAT! The I remembered that lymphoma can come back in a second! The news about a 'little' asthma was a welcome relief although now that I read about feline asthma, there might be anxious days ahead.

Btw his right cornea is a little constricted but Dr L said that wewould monitor that. Our next appt should be 4 months from today but I opted for three months as I may not be able to make it on many days in July as I have exams to conduct. I am also a little anxious about the asthma and the constricted cornea.

2 comments:

  1. Would you have the option to just roll up the carpets and put them away for a few weeks to see how that works?

    So sorry bout the asthma, but we're glad it's nothing more ominous than that! We hope Megat gets used to the meds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Hope Megat's asthma is a result of an allergy. Fluid in/outside the lungs (edema/pleural effusion) may cause difficulty in breathing and cat's restlessness to find a comfortable position to rest. You should monitor any whizzing. It is probably just a little fluid only.

    ReplyDelete