Saturday, April 10, 2010

Community cats in Joo Chiat

Joo Chiat is now a very clean and busy shopping district with many community cats in residence...
This tux was walking about in the shopping complex. It was not afraid of people and allowed some kids to pet it...
A very tired working kitty :)
The boy was very friendly with the cats and they were not afraid of him. The played with him and he was very gentle with them...
A well-fed marbled kitty sitting under the sun...
There was a very big plastic bowl of very clean water under this chair. I guess a kind soul left it for the army of cats that were lazing about under the hot sun. The container itself was very clean so I think someone must be keeping an eye out for all of them.
A kitten who did not like being photographed. It stayed where it was for some time...
A chatty kitty with a friend :)
On the look-out...
This one did not like me at all so I did not come too near it as I did not want it to move away. It seemed very comfortable where it was...
A small kitten having lunch...
Life of a community kitty is a hard one...
This one crossed the side road with great panache :)


Although I was pleased to be bale to take pics of the community cats, I can't help but feel sad that there were so many in such a small space- on the periphery of the shopping centre. There, the kitties were left quite alone but as they walked about very confidently, I think the people here were not averse to cats. They all look healthy and slim.However, none of the cats were sterilized. I am glad we did not see any one of them hurt or limping.

Cousin R was with me and she told me that she had just gone to the doctor in B and met a caregiver along the way. She said she saw a cat who was limping and going round and round meowing in pain. The caregiver had called the SPCA and they both waited for them to come to take the cat. The caregiver was very angry and sad and the people around her said that they were shocked that someone had actually thrown the kitty down from the flat. The caregiver said the kitty was too friendly with people. It was still a kitten and had not learned to be wary. It seemed that there are many abandoned cats and unsterilsed kitties in B too.

1 comment:

  1. lovely post of the kitties - in my 'hood! ^ _ ^

    i'm a cat caregiver in Joo Chiat too... and yes, there is a massive problem with the Joo Chiat Complex area... in fact, i'd tried to ask the feeders there to let me neuter the cats (at my cost) before, but was chided and had one of them (Malay) citing religion, etc... so i backed off.

    i just tried again to talk to another feeder - and SUCCESS! so the cats you have photographed will mostly be sterilised very soon ^ _ ^ am working on it!

    ReplyDelete