Monday, May 10, 2010

This Litter Business...

Toro: is a FAILURE! I dun like the white stuff in my litter. It must be dangerous and I dun wan to get in it. I will NOT get in it everrrrrrr....

Megat: is okay although I dun think I should poo in it...yet.

I decided to have various levels of the recycled newspaper pellets (clumping) in the 4 bins as I noticed Toro would not get in any bin if he could help it. He would tip toe into the biggest bin gingerly and only if he could step on the clay, NEVER on the pellets. Tanaka and Bujang would step carefully over the pellets and would tolerate some of it on their feet. Megat does the same for the big bins. Step only on clay!

So I decided that I should line the bins with the pellets and put clay over them. In my human brain, I thought if the boys dig up the sand and meet a few pwllets, they would take it in their stride. Result: In your dreams san! They were more suspicious than ever and Toro decided he would not even step in the bins. This is very bad news for a UTI kitty!

So finally I decided only clay in the biggest bin, some pellets (from the 2nd trial) in 2 bins and only pellets in Megat's bin in his cage. Once this was configured, I heard frantic sounds of clay being overturned by a mysterious kitty. When I looked into the bin, I saw one small clump of pee and a whole mountain of sand on it. I guess the industrious amigo was trying to see if there were mysterious white stuff underneath.

So the result is poo only in the clay bin, stray clumps of pee in the 2 mixed bins and Megat's bin has a clump of pee in it this morning. He did visit the clay bin this morning though. My decision then would be just to have the pellets in Megat's private bin as he sleeps in his cage and if he is breathing in clay dust, more of it would have to be from this source.

But we shall see. I think this will be a long-drawn experiment.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:13 PM

    So funny San. I went thru the exact process-recycled paper pellets, pine, 2-layered litter box etc etc... I am back to clay and crystal. Crystal is a hugh bill - use for cats with special needs....every cat seems to be special though ;(
    Have you got a cat who stood at top edge of box to poo yet? Cat refuses to step on what litter-material that does not meet its expectations.
    Happy time sweeping up till the amigos get their way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:20 PM

    My semi-paralysed cat is trained to pee on under-pads. Will Megat pee on this in the cage? It is dust-free & does not take up space.

    ReplyDelete