Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Need Help: Cat with dental problems.

My dental problems are not that serious yet.


Toro had some gingivitis that the vet discovered last year, at the same time that he was tested for renal problems. There ws some redness at his gumline and so we have the biogel which he still has even now. His gums are ok but his teeth has some discolouration. Our vet does not rec scaling as it is not that serious and he has renal issues and so anesthesia may be a probelm for him.

Megat had some very bad teeth pulled out when I took him to the vet prior to my adopting him. He had FIV and renal issues but as he was a community cat, the vet decided that we should pull out his bad teeth in case I had to put him back and then he would not be cared of 100% of the time. He has only 1 canine left and some of his other (very sharp) teeth that he uses to grind my fingers if he gets too irritated with me at medicine time.


Question:

Hi, i have a community cat (siamese) of about 8 yrs old who has this gum/teeth problem for past 2 mths. I am thinking of sending him for scaling & polishing at the vet. Need ur advice whether it is safe for him. He last visited a*** (name deleted by san) & after finishing the med, problem came back again. You seems to have experience on this with your other cats, so thinking if you can have some advices...... Very worried!


Dear anonymous

I have very little experience with this. I do know of some cat moms with some experience. I hope they can give advice through this blog. But if you will leave your email with us, I may be able to send your appeal to them. Please email us at animesanzo at yahoo dot com. My only advice is for you to ask your vet if its safe.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 PM

    For older pets, gas anesthesia is safer than injectable anesthesia. Pets recover as soon as gas is removed. To minimise risk of anesthesia, there is a pre-anethetic diagnostic test which checks kidney & liver functions and blood count. That would add more to the scaling cost. I sent 4 fostered cats for teeth scaling - they are 6-8yrs old & all were ok the next day. Give soft food for next day. Ask for stray rate if yr vet offers such discounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:20 PM

    ProDen Plague-Off is supposed to help to prevent tartar. Add to food. If your pet is hyperthyroid, avoid this seaweed product because of high iodine.

    I use fingernail to nick off thick build-up of tartar at gumline of my cat. Tricky of course :) Vets did that for my 18yr old pet with heart problem who probably wld not survive anethestics. I do not recommend it unless your pet will not bite you. It is not perfect but it does remove chunks of tartar that would not come out with regular brushing. If pet swallows the bits, i think it is ok lah. Hard to worry about job at hand, possible damage to your finger and where bits go. Please do not pull out yr pets' teeth hor.

    ReplyDelete