Sunday, May 29, 2011

The question of the bath

san said I should blog about taking baths since I like them very much. A blogger asked san whether it was wise or even advisable for cats to be given baths. san told me she doesn't know the answer to the question but she said maybe we should just tell people why san made us take baths anyways so she told me to begin the tale.


I take baths because I like them. Every morning I would wait for san to finish giving Toro his meds and then she would have to give me a gentle wipe down. THAT is not a bath of course but I like to be cleaner than clean. san gave me baths from a long time ago when I first came to live here. Then I had fur that stuck to my skin and she could not clean all the dirt and dirty leaves and faeces away without hurting me. So the vet said she should clean me up with warm water and salt everyday until I got very clean. Then she gave me baths and till today, san bathes me once in 3 or 4 months only when we have to go and see Dr L. san says we must always put our best clothes on to see the vet :)
I take baths only after I had been to hospital to see the vet as san thinks I should not smell of medicines when I am in the house with the rest of my bruffers as they think I smell strange. But because I am a long-haired cat, san takes me to the groomer in about 2 or 3 months so the groomer can trim my fur shorter and so I would take a bath then too. Sometimes san takes me to the groomer to take a bath if I had an accident like the last time I had peed in my carrier on my way to the vet or when I had peed on the vet's table as he had poked me on the abdomen to check if my bladder was ok. san thinks a groomer could do a better job of cleaning me up then after my accidents. san also gave me baths after I stayed in the hospital for a week and after the vet took out my catheter as I she thought I would appreciate being very clean and smelling clean too. I do not mind taking baths and quite enjoy them.

I DO NOT like baths! NO WAY! I would bite anyone who tries to bathe me and they deserved it! I had not taken a bath for many many months - a whole year or maybe two! san brings me to the groomer as I would not let her or the vet trim my nails but san thinks I should have shorter nails as grandma is very old and she is afraid I might scratch her by accident. Also I take walks and like to roll about the drains and concrete so since I sometimes sleep with san on her bed, she thinks I should taike baths. san always wipes my feet after my walks though and if I roll about she would try to wipe me with some cat wipes but she thinks I should take baths although only once a year. I DO NOT like baths san!

I remember having only 3 baths in my 2 and some odd years. I took a bath when I was furry small as san did not know where I had been living and then when I threw up after running about with my bruffers a year ago. Then she gave me a bath in the sink with Cousin R's help but I got away before she could use the hair dryer to dry my fur..hahaha. I have not had a bath since as I do not go downstairs nor do I have to visit the hospital. san just wipes my feets when I go out along the corridor. I only go to the vet once a year for a check-up. No baths for me :) But I know Cosuin R and san are planning to give me a bath before my birthday in November. I am going to watch out fur that!

I have only had three baths in my life. Iam now 6 years old. I am a very clean cat and the only accidents that I have ever had was when I sometimes throw up after breakfast. Then san just cleans me up and I am okie. I live in my princess room and do not mix with the bad boys at all. I have my own things and do not go out for walks so I don't need baths :)


We hope this is enough information for the blogger who asked san about baths. san says to play it by ear or nose :) san does not think its cruel to give cats baths but cats are clean creatures by nature and all moms and dads should do what they think is right by their kitties :)

3 comments:

  1. Only some of us have ever had baths...Johnny gets one once or twice a year plus Mommy shaves up his pants...he's prone to having a cling on every now and then! He hates the bath but loves being clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:23 PM

    Our cats get a bath once or twice a year. H'ever nails are clipped & ears are cleaned monthly. Eyes are wiped when needed. To remove surplus hair, we use a FURminator. This removes surplus hair and under-coat build-up and make the coat nice and sleek; hopefully less furballs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give my gang a bath every 2 months or so. The longest period w/o a bath is 6 months. CC is given a bath every 2 to 3 weeks as it seems to help him relieve his itchiness.

    No one likes to bath but they still have to endure their 15 min with me in the bathroom. :)

    ReplyDelete