Sunday, June 09, 2013

Keep him warm in his heart

Megat went for his (now) routine injections of fercobsang and Laurabolin last Friday. The vet was full and noisy but he kept his calm and all was over. I thought he did very well but later that night he developed fever. His whole body was hot although his ears and paws were cool to touch. It surprised me as he should not get fever from those 2 injections. He went limp, he could not keep his head up and hissed at me at every turn. 

It was an ordeal for the both of us as he is 17 this year and any infection could be dangerous.  I has to wipe him down with a cold compress and he stayed half the night with us (Bujang, Tanaka and myself). The air-conditioning helped a bit and the boys were very good and kept quiet as well. 

I called the vet on Saturday morning and he advised close monitoring and fluids every day. The vet said he should not get a fever from the 2 injections at all and that he could have developed an infection . But they could only give him a very limited array of fever meds and I was to bring him in today if the fever still persists or if he was still weak. I had called Fern as well for Reiki. 

It was quite a sight to see him this morning, walking out if his cage (by himself ) and my heart glad to hear him shout for breakfast. 

Fern said 'Keep him warm on his heart'. I think we all need to remember that. I know that he keeps me warm in my heart for sure. 

2 comments:

  1. Buddy, you are doing well for 17 years old. We hope you have a better day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been such a huge worry for all of you, but our hearts are glad that Megat was shouting for breakfast this morning. We are crossing al our paws that you will be A-OK by tomorrow.

    Big Purrs,
    The Chans (and the rest of the gang too)

    ReplyDelete